Sunday, August 8, 2010

Chickens and Turkeys Fill The House, and There Ain't Nothin' Foul About It!



We have had a heat wave here on the homestead, and finally broke down and turned on the air conditioning. I was hoping to get a lot of indoor stuff done, but truth be told, I have been very spoiled and very lazy.

I did, however, can the first of the chickens we culled this spring. Since I am still new to my pressure canner, and haven’t had the best of luck with it, I started with just one. I simmered the chicken for about 5 hours, then took the bird out, grabbed the meat off the bones and canned the meat. I then put the bones back in with some herbs and spices and cooked the broth for another 4 hours, and then canned the broth! And guess what?! It worked perfectly! For the one chicken, I only got 2 pints of meat, but I canned 5 quarts of broth. I don’t know about your house, but we use chicken broth in a lot of things- mashed potatoes, stuffing, rice, casseroles, not to mention soup.

My poor kids, they smelled chicken cooking all day, and I made them cheeseburger macaroni for dinner- bad mama!

I do have 2 more chickens in the fridge right now thawing, so hopefully tomorrow I can do it all over again. I had 4 chickens left to do, but I don’t think my pot can handle more than two at a time, so two at a time it is!


While all of this chicken was simmering on the stove, I had my turkey in the dehydrator for jerky. Making jerky is such an easy process, everyone can do this!

My marinade: I have to admit, I would use this marinade on turkey, beef, or venison for jerky- it’s just that good! I got this recipe from my friend Chris, so thanks Chris!

1 bottle Italian Dressing
¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 TBSP Dales Steak Seasoning
A few shakes of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
A few drops Liquid Smoke

(I know you are looking at this all weird, since there’s a few different ingredients than you’re used to, but since meeting my friend Chris, and learning about these –the Tony’s and the Dale’s- these really are staples at my house now.)

Anyway, mix together all ingredients and put thinly sliced turkey in marinade for 24 hours. Then throw them into the dehydrator and move along. I always do this right before be so I can sleep through most of it. The timing depends on the thickness of the slices- I like mine a little thicker and it takes mine about 12 hours.

Anyway, very easy, and delicious- my kids had this batch eaten in about 24 hours.

And with the chicken in the fridge is my last wild turkey breast, just cryin’ to swim in that marinade!

No comments:

Post a Comment